Re: Data partitioning

From: "Christian" <cb(at)onsitetech(dot)com>
To: "Ravindra Wankar" <rwankar(at)iname(dot)com>, <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Data partitioning
Date: 2001-12-20 19:14:52
Lists: pgsql-admin

We do something similar. What we do is create tables for the different
companies (with an underscore as first char). Then we create a meta-lookup
table that maps the customer_id to the correct table name.

There are some real big problems with this.
1. Tier 1 looks ugly, very ugly.
2. It takes some of the functionality that should be in the RDBMS, and
shoves it out the programmers, who make mistakes.
3. One more lookup, before you even put together your query.
4. If you have relations between products and other tables :( (look at #2)

We are moving away from this model to something more like what you are
doing. You clients may not like it, but they'll hate a really buggy system
more.

Christian Brink
CTO
ONSITE! Technology
www.onsitetech.com
503.233.1418
cb(at)onsitetech(dot)com

Taking e-Business and Internet Technology To The Extreme!