Re: Cannot link to postgres 8.0.0 databases using ODBC from

From: laurie(dot)burrow(at)powerconv(dot)alstom(dot)com
To: pgsql-odbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Cannot link to postgres 8.0.0 databases using ODBC from
Date: 2005-02-18 16:53:11
Lists: pgsql-odbc

Further investigation of the problem I described in my previous posting has
identified a fault that I suppose is applicable to the combination of
Postgres 8.0.0 ODBC driver running on Windows 2000 server and desktop.

I have two postgresql.conf files, one is the default out-of-the-box
postgresql.conf file, the other has many of the logging options turned on
(I have put the diff between the two files at the end)

The default config works fine, the modified config fails in that the
postgres ODBC does not work (tested with Access 97,2000 and Perl ODBC
connections) giving the error "The database does not exist on the server or
user authentication failed. (#105)".

Only ODBC seems to be affected. All other connections from php, pgadmin
work fine.

I have demonstrated this problem consistently on two completely different
and brand new installations of P8.0.0 (W2K server and desktop). I have not
been able to pin down exactly what combination of settings generates the
error.

Regards
Laurie

The diff of the two config files is

207a208
> client_min_messages = log
212a214
> log_min_messages=info
214a217
> log_error_verbosity = verbose
218a222
> log_min_error_statement = info
230a235
> log_connections = true
231a237
> log_disconnections = true
232a239
> log_duration = true
240a248,249
> log_line_prefix = '%u %d %r %t %c %x'

241a251
> log_statement = 'all'

CONFIDENTIALITY : This e-mail and any attachments are confidential and
may be privileged. If you are not a named recipient, please notify the
sender immediately and do not disclose the contents to another person, use
it for any purpose or store or copy the information in any medium.