Do Stored Procedures exist (Besides FUNCTIONs)

From: "Art Nicewick" <art(dot)nicewick(at)ams(dot)com>
To: Masse Jacques <jacques(dot)masse(at)bordeaux(dot)cemagref(dot)fr>
Cc: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org, pgsql-novice-owner(at)postgresql(dot)org,"Rick Rothstein" <rick(dot)rothstein(at)ams(dot)com>
Subject: Do Stored Procedures exist (Besides FUNCTIONs)
Date: 2002-03-04 19:02:11
Lists: pgsql-novice
I'm researching porting an Oracle Application to PostgreSQL. I used ora2pg
and converted the DDL. However, the Oracle procedures is another issues.

It seems the all the discussions in the ORACLE TO PGSQL port document are
all about converting FUNCTIONs to FUNCTIONs, Procedures to FUNCTIONs. What
about application that already return multiple parameters from a stored
procedure.

If a program current executes a Oracle stored procedure through the
following command.

   execute storedProc (InParm1,InParm2,OutParm3,OutParm4)
   System.out.println(OutParm3 + " " + OutParm4);

with the proc being something like

   Create Procedure( InParm1,InParm2,OutParm3) is
     Begin  OutParm3 = InParm1 + InParm2;
                              OutParm4 = InParm1 * InParm2;
     Insert into TableX values (InParm1,InParm2,OutParm3,OutParm4);
     End ;

How would I do this in PL/pgsql ??? (Both Statements the Execute and the
Proc).

P.S. I cannot find any reference to a CALL or EXECUTE command in postgeSQL
.... Am I missing something ??.

Arthur Nicewick
American Management Systems
Corporate Technology Group
art_nicewick(at)ams(dot)com
(703) 267-8569

Quote of the week:
"Computers in the future may weigh no more than 1.5 tons."
Popular Mechanics, forecasting the relentless march of science, 1949

pgsql-novice by date

Next:From: Anthony EstevezDate: 2002-03-04 19:12:36