Re: [Fwd: Re: Problem in connecting to database]

From: Jayadevan M <Jayadevan(dot)Maymala(at)ibsplc(dot)com>
To: Rekha Ravi Pai <rekha(at)softjin(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-in-general(at)postgresql(dot)org,pgsql-in-general-owner(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [Fwd: Re: Problem in connecting to database]
Date: 2010-11-10 07:03:55
Lists: pgsql-in-general
Hi,

> It was the PATH problem. I was accessing default psql that came with
linux.
> Now after setting the PATH, and running the command,
> /usr/local/pgsql/bin/pg_ctl start -D .
> I am getting the following error.
> FATAL:  database files are incompatible with server
> DETAIL:  The data directory was initialized by PostgreSQL version 7.
> 4, which is not compatible with this version 9.0.1.
> How to resolve this?
Probably your DATA path is wrong.  Try
-bash-3.2$ env | grep DATA
I get
PGDATA=/usr/local/pgsql/data

I think it will help you if you read documentation on installing and
starting PostgreSQL, especially pg_ctl options, initializing the cluster
etc.

Regards,
Jayadevan

DISCLAIMER:

"The information in this e-mail and any attachment is intended only for
the person to whom it is addressed and may contain confidential and/or
privileged material. If you have received this e-mail in error, kindly
contact the sender and destroy all copies of the original communication.
IBS makes no warranty, express or implied, nor guarantees the accuracy,
adequacy or completeness of the information contained in this email or any
attachment and is not liable for any errors, defects, omissions, viruses
or for resultant loss or damage, if any, direct or indirect."