Re: NIC to NIC connection

From: Richard_D_Levine(at)raytheon(dot)com
To: Andrew Sullivan <ajs(at)crankycanuck(dot)ca>
Cc: "Pgsql-Admin(at)Postgresql(dot) Org" <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>,pgsql-admin-owner(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: NIC to NIC connection
Date: 2004-10-19 17:11:20
Lists: pgsql-admin
Depends on the NIC.  If your running 100MBS Ether and put in 1GBS Ether or
fiber, it would make a difference.

Rick

                      Andrew Sullivan
                      <ajs(at)crankycanuck(dot)ca>        To:       "Pgsql-Admin(at)Postgresql(dot) Org" <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
                      Sent by:                     cc:
                      pgsql-admin-owner(at)pos        Subject:  Re: [ADMIN] NIC to NIC connection
                      tgresql.org

                      10/19/2004 11:28 AM

On Tue, Oct 19, 2004 at 12:05:05PM -0400, Kent Anderson wrote:
> We are upgrading our servers and have run into an interesting situation.
It
> has been proposed that we have a direct connection from the web servers
> the postgres server via extra NICs.

> Before we even waste time installing the NIC's I would like a sense of
how
> hard it is to get postgres to use that kind of a connection vs over the
> Internet.

I don't understand.  What interface other than a NIC are you now
using to go "over the Internet"?  Or do you mean that you want an
_extra_ IP address so that the web servers don't have to compete for
the bandwidth?  In that case, sure, you'll probably get a minor
performance increase, depending on your current network traffic.

Andrew Sullivan  | ajs(at)crankycanuck(dot)ca
In the future this spectacle of the middle classes shocking the avant-
garde will probably become the textbook definition of Postmodernism.
                --Brad Holland

pgsql-admin by date

Next:From: Jay A. KreibichDate: 2004-10-19 17:18:57