Database/Table Owner Question

From: Michael(dot)L(dot)Blume(at)frb(dot)gov
To: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Database/Table Owner Question
Date: 2009-02-26 21:28:07
Lists: pgsql-bugs pgsql-general

Thank you in advance.

I realize only the superuser and table owner can change the ownership of a
table, but is there a way to modify the database owner privileges to do
the same?

Example:
userA is database owner and creates/owns 20 tables
superuser creates userB
superuser changes database owner to userB
userB cannot change userB cannot change ownership of userA_tables

I realize this was probably on purpose to set up the balance of power
between the table and database owner, but would there be a way to quickly
set the db owner's ability to change table owners in their database?

I'm hoping for a quick spot, maybe similar to the roles table, which would
require performing grants on all tables, but just updating a setting in
one place. I don't want userB to become superuser, just able to change
table owners.

Reason:
We have a lot of test databases with multiple db_owners, but very few
superusers, and table_owners switch all the time.