Re: Determining current WAL

From: thomas(dot)revell(at)powerconv(dot)alstom(dot)com
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Determining current WAL
Date: 2005-02-17 15:36:16
Lists: pgsql-admin
OK, thanks.

thomas(dot)revell(at)powerconv(dot)alstom(dot)com writes:
> I'm currently looking at using WAL / PITR backups for a database, and I
> need to keep the backups as up to date as possible. As such, keeping a
> copy of the current WAL file, as suggested in the manual, would seem to
be
> a very good idea. I'm slightly confused, though, about which file is the

> current. I had assumed that it would always be the highest numbered,

No.  Go with the most-recently-modified.  Segment files are normally
created (or renamed into place) in advance of being needed.

There should probably be a cleaner/more reliable way of identifying
the active file ...

                                                 regards, tom lane

CONFIDENTIALITY : This  e-mail  and  any attachments are confidential and
may be privileged. If  you are not a named recipient, please notify the
sender immediately and do not disclose the contents to another person, use
it for any purpose or store or copy the information in any medium.

pgsql-admin by date