No library found for -lpq

From: wolfgang(dot)wening(at)spb(dot)de
To: pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: No library found for -lpq
Date: 2006-07-11 15:57:24
Lists: pgsql-interfaces
Dear pgsql_perl5-experts!

I tried to install pgsql_perl5 1.9.0 on WINDOWS XP following the README
file, but I still have serious problems.

Because I found no possibility to compile postgresql from the source files
(MS VC++ Toolkit 2003 is no longer available and Microsoft Visaul C++ 2005
Express Edition gives errors), I installed directly the complete windows
version of PostgreSQL 8.1.4 including all the development tools. ActivePerl is already installed, also nmake and DBI 1.50.

Because in my installation of PostgreSQL I didn't find, I
downloaded, unzipped it to a
temporary directory ...\postgresql-8.1.4-1-binaries-no-installer (...\ is
some temporary path). But there I found only a libpq.dll instead. Then I
set the variables as follows:

I changed to ...\pgsql_perl5-1.9.0 and called perl Makefile.PL resulting in
the error message: "Note (probably harmless): No library found for -lpq"

Ignoring this I tried to call nmake, but this ended in a fatal error,
because the linker could not resolve some extern symbols.

Surfing through the net I found answers to that problem like "there is
missing the library libpq, that is part of the postgres installation".
Sarching for files like that I found libpq-fe.h, libpq.a, and libpq.dll in
my paths POSTGRES_INCLUDE and POSTGRES_LIB respectively, but no

Can you tell me what's going wrong? Are there missing files (e.g.
or environment variables? And in case of missing files: where can I get
them? Furthermore I couldn't find any extra development-package for

Best regards
i. A. Wolfgang Wening

Sparda-Datenverarbeitung eG
Filialsysteme / SB-Systeme
Freiligrathstra├če 32
90482 N├╝rnberg
Telefon: 0911 / 54 86 - 641
Telefax: 0911 / 54 86 - 4641

pgsql-interfaces by date

Next:From: vinoth davidDate: 2006-07-13 06:37:27