Re: pgadmin III - database backup / restore

From: paul(dot)n(dot)shortis(at)mainroads(dot)qld(dot)gov(dot)au
To: pgadmin-support(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: pgadmin III - database backup / restore
Date: 2004-08-18 02:26:20
Lists: pgadmin-support

Sorry about that Andreas, I'm used to the Xitami list where I just reply to
a message and it automatically goes to the list.

When I run pg_dump with or without the -U switch to provide the db user
name, I always get prompted for a password, then (providing the passsword
was correct) the dump executes successfully.

Since pg_dump doesn't have a switch to supply the password (it always
appears to want the password interactively) I would guess that pgadmin
would need to supply stdin to the spawned copy of pg_dump. As it stands
pg_dump just sits waiting for a password and pgadmin becomes unresponsive -
wouldn't it be better if pgadmin used events to detect pg_dump activity or
ran pg_dump on another thread to avoid hanging the main evet loop of
pgadmin (& hence the lock up) when this type of thing occurs ?

Regards,
Paul

Please do NOT mail directly, use the list.

paul(dot)n(dot)shortis(at)mainroads(dot)qld(dot)gov(dot)au wrote:

> Placing pg_dump & company in the pgadmin3 directory made the tools menu
> option availble; however the backup procedure locks up pgadmin 3 with a
> command line prompt in the messages portion of the backup dialog. I
assume
> that pgadmin is waiting for pg_dump to return, but pg_dump is waiting for
> user input that isn't forthcoming ??

Try executing the command which is displayed on the message page on a
command line, what's happening?

Regards,
Andreas

Opinions contained in this e-mail do not necessarily reflect
the opinions of the Queensland Department of Main Roads,
Queensland Transport or Maritime Safety Queensland, or
endorsed organisations utilising the same infrastructure.
If you have received this electronic mail message in error,
please immediately notify the sender and delete the message
from your computer.