Re: Bug or expected behaviour

From: "Patrick Hatcher" <PHatcher(at)macys(dot)com>
To: "Ravinder Bhalla <Ravinder(dot)Bhalla" <Ravinder(dot)Bhalla(at)ipix(dot)com>
Cc: sfpug(at)postgresql(dot)org, sfpug-owner(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Bug or expected behaviour
Date: 2003-12-15 20:47:06
Lists: sfpug

Betcha PG added the FROM clause for the EMP table automatically for you. I
ran into this when I first started using PG. In version 7.4 you can set
the conf file to not allow these types of non-explicit FROM clauses. I'm
not sure there's a way not to allow this in earlier versions

Patrick Hatcher
Macys.Com

Ravinder Bhalla
<Ravinder(dot)Bhalla(at)ip
ix.com> To
Sent by: sfpug(at)postgresql(dot)org
sfpug-owner(at)postgre cc
sql.org
Subject
[sfpug] Bug or expected behaviour
12/12/2003 11:24 AM

Could someone pls explain me the following,

I have two table tables emp and dept

emp
----------
empid
empname
dept_no
age

dept
----------
deptid
deptname

billdb=# select * from dept\g
deptid | deptname
--------+----------
100 | Oracle
200 | PHP

(2 rows)

billdb=# select * from emp;
empid | empname | dept_no | age
-------+---------+---------+-----
1 | Abhay | 100 | 24
2 | AB | 200 | 26
(2 rows)

billdb=# select * from emp where empid in ( select empid from dept);
empid | empname | dept_no | age
1 | Abhay | 100 | 24
2 | AB | 200 | 26
(2 rows)

Why the query is returning rows when empid column doesn't exists in dept
table. Should throw an error.

Thanks
Ravinder