Re: Bug or expected behaviour

From: "Patrick Hatcher" <PHatcher(at)macys(dot)com>
To: "Ravinder Bhalla <Ravinder(dot)Bhalla" <Ravinder(dot)Bhalla(at)ipix(dot)com>
Cc: sfpug(at)postgresql(dot)org, sfpug-owner(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Bug or expected behaviour
Date: 2003-12-15 20:47:06
Lists: sfpug
Betcha PG added the FROM clause for the EMP table automatically for you.  I
ran into this when I first started using PG.  In version 7.4 you can set
the conf file to not allow these types of non-explicit FROM clauses.  I'm
not sure there's a way not to allow this in earlier versions

Patrick Hatcher
Macys.Com

           Ravinder Bhalla
           <Ravinder(dot)Bhalla(at)ip
           ix.com>                                                      To
           Sent by:                   sfpug(at)postgresql(dot)org
           sfpug-owner(at)postgre                                          cc
           sql.org
                                                                   Subject
                                      [sfpug] Bug or expected behaviour
           12/12/2003 11:24 AM

Could someone pls explain me the following,

I have two table tables emp and dept

emp
----------
empid
empname
dept_no
age

dept
----------
deptid
deptname

billdb=# select * from dept\g
 deptid | deptname
--------+----------
    100 | Oracle
    200 | PHP

(2 rows)

billdb=# select * from emp;
 empid | empname | dept_no | age
-------+---------+---------+-----
     1 | Abhay   |     100 |  24
     2 | AB      |     200 |  26
(2 rows)

billdb=# select * from emp where empid in ( select empid from dept);
 empid | empname | dept_no | age
     1 | Abhay   |     100 |  24
     2 | AB      |     200 |  26
(2 rows)

Why the query is returning rows when empid column doesn't exists in dept
table. Should throw an error.

Thanks
Ravinder