Re: Postgres error

From: Ritu Khetan <RKhetan(at)crisil(dot)com>
To: Paul Lambert <paul(dot)lambert(at)autoledgers(dot)com(dot)au>
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org,pgsql-admin-owner(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Postgres error
Date: 2007-05-18 05:24:05
Lists: pgsql-admin

Hi Paul,

The service does not start , hence we tried it through the command prompt
to check what is the error.

Any thoughts?

Regards,
Ritu

                        Paul Lambert
             <paul(dot)lambert(at)autoledge
                          rs.com.au>                                    To
                            Sent by:         pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
             pgsql-admin-owner(at)postg                                    cc
                           resql.org
                                                                   Subject
                                             Re: [ADMIN] Postgres error
                 18/05/2007 10:49 AM

Ritu Khetan wrote:

> Dear friends,
>
> I am getting the following error when I start Postgres 8.1 from the
command
> prompt on windows:
>
> pg_ctl start -D e:/crisilfe/crisil/pgsql/data
> postmaster starting
>
> E:\Crisilfe\Crisil\pgsql\bin>LOG:  could not rename file
> "global/config_exec_par
> ams.new" to "global/config_exec_params", continuing to try
> pg_ctl start -D e:/crisilfe/crisil/pgsql/data
> pg_ctl: another postmaster may be running; trying to start postmaster
> anyway
> FATAL:  lock file "postmaster.pid" already exists
> HINT:  Is another postmaster (PID 2672) running in data directory
> "e:/crisilfe/c
> risil/pgsql/data"?
> pg_ctl: could not start postmaster
> Examine the log output.
>
> Can someone thro some light on what causing this. Need urgent help...
>
> Regards,
> Ritu
> Disclaimer :
information. If you are not the intended recipient, please delete the
message (including any attachments) from your system without using,
transmitting or storing it. Please also immediately inform the sender.
E-mails are not secure and may suffer from errors, viruses, unauthorized
interceptions / amendments. CRISIL and its subsidiaries do not accept any
liability for loss or damage caused by this e-mail and may monitor e-mail
traffic.

> TIP 6: explain analyze is your friend

PG runs as a service on windows - if you look in service control manager
is it started?

If you look in task manager are there any postmaster.exe's running?

--
Paul Lambert
Database Administrator

TIP 6: explain analyze is your friend

Disclaimer :
This message (including any attachments) contains confidential information. If you are not the intended recipient, please delete the message (including any attachments) from your system without using, transmitting or storing it. Please also immediately inform the sender. E-mails are not secure and may suffer from errors, viruses, unauthorized interceptions / amendments. CRISIL and its subsidiaries do not accept any liability for loss or damage caused by this e-mail and may monitor e-mail traffic.