postgresql-9.0 Windows service stops after database transaction

From: adrian(dot)kitchingman(at)dse(dot)vic(dot)gov(dot)au
To: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: postgresql-9.0 Windows service stops after database transaction
Date: 2010-09-24 04:39:48
Lists: pgsql-performance

Hi all

I've have a strange problem with my Windows postgresql-9.0 service
stopping after any transaction which manipulates tables in any database
(Deleting records, Inserting records, bulk importing via \copy, etc). This
problem occurs regardless whether I'm accessing the database server via
pgAdmin III on a client machine or the server itself as well as through
the command prompt. The end result it that I have to constantly restart
the postgresql service after any transactions. Sometime there is a slight
delay allowing a couple of transactions but the service is always
eventually stopped.

The problem appears to have started when I changed permissions on my
machine to allow the user 'postgres' access to the C drive following the
instructions in the last post of this thread:
http://www.jitterbit.com/PhpBB/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=869

The specs of postres environment are:
Windows XP SP3
PostgreSQL 9.0.0, compiled by Visual C++ build 1500, 32-bit
pgAdmin III 1.12.0 (Sep17 2010, rev: REL-1_12_0)
PostGIS 2.0SVN

Hope someone can shed some light on this issue.

Cheers

Adrian

Notice:

contained in this email.