CPU Utilization 100%...

From: Christopher(dot)Becker(at)apcc(dot)com
To: pgsql-novice <pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: CPU Utilization 100%...
Date: 2004-05-05 15:21:56
Lists: pgsql-novice

This is a pretty specific scenario, so I'm not sure if anyone has
anythoughts or not.

I've got a delphi app connecting to a postgres server (with MicroLap
PostgresDAC)...
My app is doing a continuous loop of inserts. I have a "Pause"
button with
opens up a modal dialog box which halts the inserts until it's
closed.

From the Modal dialog box, the user has the option of closing the
connection
to the db. The problem is, when I hit pause, the CPU utilization of
the
postgres server goes through the roof (99%-100%). Even if I
disconnect the
db connection, at that point, the CPU stays at 100%. If I
reconnect, and
resume my app, the cpu drops back down to it's regular operating
levels.

I thought that by disconnecting, the server would drop it's
processor
level.. but it seems like something is still holding on.

Any thoughts?