Re: Creating DB programmatically?

From: Jayadevan M <Jayadevan(dot)Maymala(at)ibsplc(dot)com>
To: Roy's Email <rmw256(at)hotmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org,pgsql-novice-owner(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Creating DB programmatically?
Date: 2011-07-12 03:16:01
Lists: pgsql-novice
Hello,

> I would like to create my DB programmatically.  I.e. If the DB does
> not already exist, I would like to be able to create (and populate)
> it from within my application.  Is there some way to do this?
> Everything I see seems to require connecting to an existing DB
> before you can do anything.

If it is unix/linux, couldn't you do
[postgres(at)tcctest ~]$ psql -l | grep mydatabase
and then create one if it did not fetch any data?
If it exists, you will get something like
 mydatabase | postgres | UTF8     | en_US.UTF-8 | en_US.UTF-8 |

Regards,
Jayadevan

DISCLAIMER:

"The information in this e-mail and any attachment is intended only for
the person to whom it is addressed and may contain confidential and/or
privileged material. If you have received this e-mail in error, kindly
contact the sender and destroy all copies of the original communication.
IBS makes no warranty, express or implied, nor guarantees the accuracy,
adequacy or completeness of the information contained in this email or any
attachment and is not liable for any errors, defects, omissions, viruses
or for resultant loss or damage, if any, direct or indirect."