Re: [Fwd: Re: Problem in connecting to database]

From: Jayadevan M <Jayadevan(dot)Maymala(at)ibsplc(dot)com>
To: Rekha Ravi Pai <rekha(at)softjin(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-in-general(at)postgresql(dot)org,pgsql-in-general-owner(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [Fwd: Re: Problem in connecting to database]
Date: 2010-11-09 06:25:11
Lists: pgsql-in-general
> After installing pgsql 9 and dumping an existing database,
> I was able to run the psql command and run sql queries as
> well.
> Today when I gave the psql command I came across this error.
> psql: could not connect to server: No such file or directory
>         Is the server running locally and accepting
>         connections on Unix domain socket "/tmp/.s.PGSQL.5432"?
> Can you please help me to run the pgsql.
How do you usually start the server? Is it likely the server failed to
restart and you were getting the errors because the server was not up?
Check status of server
-bash-3.2$ pg_ctl status
pg_ctl: server is running (PID: 11456)
/usr/local/pgsql/bin/postgres

Start the server using
pg_ctl start

Regards,
Jayadevan

DISCLAIMER:

"The information in this e-mail and any attachment is intended only for
the person to whom it is addressed and may contain confidential and/or
privileged material. If you have received this e-mail in error, kindly
contact the sender and destroy all copies of the original communication.
IBS makes no warranty, express or implied, nor guarantees the accuracy,
adequacy or completeness of the information contained in this email or any
attachment and is not liable for any errors, defects, omissions, viruses
or for resultant loss or damage, if any, direct or indirect."