Lock file conflict with multiple postmasters

From: Nicola Mauri <Nicola(dot)Mauri(at)saga(dot)it>
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Lock file conflict with multiple postmasters
Date: 2007-04-17 16:26:16
Lists: pgsql-admin
Hi,
We have two postmasters on the same host. They are configured to listen on
port 5432 of two distinct IP addresses as follows:

/var/lib/pgsql1/data/postgresql.conf:
  listen_addresses = '10.0.0.1'
  port = 5432
/var/lib/pgsql2/data/postgresql.conf
  listen_addresses = '10.0.0.2'
  port = 5432

However, if we start the second instance while the first one is running,
we get the following error:
   FATAL:  could not open lock file "/tmp/.s.PGSQL.5432.lock": Permission
denied

So, lock filename cares only about port number and nothing else.
In order to avoid this conflict, how can we configure the name of
lockfiles or directory where they are placed?

Thanks in advance!
Nicola

pgsql-admin by date

Next:From: Chuck AmadiDate: 2007-04-17 16:50:36