Re: Postgres locking up?

From: Robert Becker Cope <robert(at)gonkgonk(dot)com>
To: bhurt(at)janestcapital(dot)com, pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org, pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Postgres locking up?
Date: 2006-09-30 00:53:46
Lists: pgsql-performance

Brian Hurt <bhurt(at)janestcapital(dot)com> wrote:

> I'm experiencing a problem with our postgres database. Queries that
> normally take seconds suddenly start taking hours, if they complete at
> all.

Do you have any long running transactions? I have noticed that with Postgres
8.1.x, a long running transaction combined with other transactions over a long
enough time period can very predictably lead to this type of behavior

One simple way to see if you have any long running transactions is to look for
PIDs that are "idle in transaction" for long periods of time.

robert