Unrecognized variable client_encoding

From: Allen(dot)Kimberly(at)epamail(dot)epa(dot)gov
To: pgsql-ports(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: Wright(dot)Steve(at)epamail(dot)epa(dot)gov
Subject: Unrecognized variable client_encoding
Date: 2001-03-14 13:13:42
Lists: pgsql-ports

I had noticed in a previous post the following information:

> NOTICE: Unrecognized variable client_encoding

>It means you're running a MULTIBYTE-enabled psql (or more specifically
>libpq) against a non-MULTIBYTE server. Perhaps you are invoking a copy
>of libpq from an older installation that was compiled with different
>configure options.

>The notice is harmless enough, but you may want to get your client and
>server into sync...

I'm running into the same error message & I'm not sure how I got my client
and server out of sync.

I did an install of 7.0.3 on a RedHat Linux 6.2 box that has had all
previous versions of postgreSQL removed.
When I configured it, I did ./configure --with-perl --with-odbc
--enable-syslog --enable-debug --enable-cassert . Since my database will
not need any multibyte characters, I specifically did not use
--enable-multibyte. My regression test went great, and after I edited the
system's sysctl.conf to set the shmall and shmmax, postmaster started up
like a trooper. I then did the quickie test of

$ createdb
$ psql
postgres=>SELECT datetime 'now';
postgres=>\q
$ destroydb

When I did the create and the destroy, I got the "Unrecognized variable
client_encoding" notice, so obviously I'm out of sync. The question is how
did I get that way?

I also tried recompiling with the multibyte enabled. This time I got an
error along the lines of : multibyte is not enabled.
Your installation may not have been successful.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.