Re: Rant to the guiding lights of Postgres [auf Viren

From: Paul Smith <Paul(dot)Smith(at)xcom(dot)de>
To: Claudio Natoli <claudio(dot)natoli(at)memetrics(dot)com>,pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Rant to the guiding lights of Postgres [auf Viren
Date: 2004-02-13 12:44:34
Lists: pgsql-advocacy
claudio(dot)natoli(at)memetrics(dot)com wrote on 13/02/2004 11:53:09:

> > It is unfortunate that a few people considered my comments as
> non-constructive. Perhaps if
> > they were to do a few google searches they would find, instead of the
> answer they expect,
>
> This is the key point. You looked for something that you reasonably
expected
> to be able to find, or at least pertinent related information... but
came up
> empty. Seems like a fair enough point for "advocacy" to me.
>
> (At a guess, a simple google search for "psql.exe" will be successful,
and,
> as others have mentioned, the docs do state how to build psql/libpq
under
> Win32, but your point certainly still holds true for the other client
> binaries.)
Alas - A Google search for "psql.exe" is more likly to send you to MySql
then
encourage you to persevere. The first candidate is from 1999, the second
one of
seems to be perfect until you try it. It is in Japanese.

> > that many, many other people are in fact asking the same questions
that I
> am. It is not that
> > 7.5 will have a native win-32 build (though that is very interesting)
it
> is simply that client server
> > systems need clients!
> >
> > Even a cursory glance at the 'official' download pages shows that
clients
> are *not* even
> > mentioned.

Again - the Google search shows many people asking the same questions but
a very
limited range of answers are provided. I fully understand that the
"experts" are
interested in the server itself - but in many cases, this does not resolve
the
newbies problems.
> Well, I can happily report that the all the client binaries do now build
> under Win32, but this won't help you (and others) until 7.5 is released,
at
> the very least.
>
> To be clear, do you believe that you would have been in the same
position if
> you had been able to download a pre-built Win32 PostgreSQL installation
(as
> you can for some of the *nix platforms), or are you suggesting that the
> client binaries themselves be made (prominently) available as a
> stand-alone/separate pre-built download?
>
> Cheers,
> Claudio
Ready-to-Run Client binaries made prominently available as a stand-alone
download
for a range of target clients are exactly what I am looking for. If you
think
about it, it makes sense (at least to me). To have a development
environment on
your target server is a given. This allows you to build, configure, tweak
etc.
your server apps - something that is almost always necessary! But how much

tweaking does the client app need?

Regards,

Paul Smith