returning autogenerated keys

From: Srinivasa_Tata(at)hud(dot)gov
To: pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: returning autogenerated keys
Date: 2005-10-07 02:02:39
Lists: pgsql-jdbc
 I am trying to use PostgreSQL and while trying to do a prototype, I am
getting an error.
org.postgresql.util.PSQLException: Returning autogenerated keys is not
supported.
at
org.postgresql.jdbc3.AbstractJdbc3Statement.executeUpdate(AbstractJdbc3Statement.java:138)

In the TODO list (INSERT section), it is mentioned that  "This is useful
for returning the auto-generated key for an INSERT. One complication is
how to handle rules that run as part of the insert."

Does it mean PostgreSQL does not support returning autogenerated keys?  I
am using 803 version.

Thanks In Advance

Srinivas Tata

pgsql-jdbc by date

Next:From: Kris JurkaDate: 2005-10-07 02:20:45