Re: freebsd performance

From: Corey(dot)Brune(at)transplace(dot)com
To: pginfo <pginfo(at)t1(dot)unisoftbg(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org, pgsql-admin-owner(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: freebsd performance
Date: 2004-05-03 14:37:33
Lists: pgsql-admin

Try looking at your kernel- make sure that you don't have any debugging
turned on, and comment out all unnecessary devices. Read the man page on
tuning.

What is slow? Are any metrics at 100%, i.e. IO or CPU?

If you need more help, please provide additional information.

Corey

pginfo
<pginfo(at)t1(dot)unisoftbg(dot) To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
com> cc:
Sent by: Subject: [ADMIN] freebsd performance
pgsql-admin-owner(at)pos
tgresql.org

05/02/2004 03:41 AM

Hi all,

I try to find OS with better performance.
At the mement we are using linux RH AS 3.0 and I think it is not the
best possible.

So my test server:
Dual Pentium III 1 GHz
1.5 GB ram
30 GB ATA 7200 HDD.
pg 7.4.2

I installed freebsd 5.2.1 (It is my first try on it).
and ran the same db and pg setup.
So I see 30% slower freebsd box compared to linux RH.

My question:
exists any special setups into freebsd to get it running faster?
Also any good docs about configuring freebsd for postgresql will helpfull .

regards,
ivan.

joining column's datatypes do not match