BYTEA Fields and Memory Consumption

From: Raiford(at)labware(dot)com
To: pgsql-odbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: BYTEA Fields and Memory Consumption
Date: 2011-04-13 12:09:25
Lists: pgsql-odbc
I have an issue where even though I break a large BYTEA object up into
multiple pieces, the ODBC driver just rejoins the pieces in memory and
tries to send it all out at once.  I took a look at the code and sure
enough the driver just keeps reallocating memory for each chunk of data
that I add.  Can I assume Postgres has no mechanism to send this data
across the wire in pieces?  Are there any common practices for dealing
with this?  As it is, in one environment I can only transfer files around
50MB before I start receiving out of memory errors.  The same program
running against Oracle and SQL Server works great.

Jon