platform independent set-up

From: jeroen(dot)van(dot)rest(at)philips(dot)com
To: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: platform independent set-up
Date: 2001-09-13 13:36:13
Lists: pgsql-novice
Hi,

We are working on a project that requires a platform-independent collection of modules. For example, we currently have a prototype version of a front-end running, developed with QT. I've also got postgreSQL running using CygWin. There is no need for
network-functionality, everything should run on one machine, but we want to be able to transfer it completely (including database) from WinNT to Linux and back.
We also need speed in this application. That's why we prefer to code in C(++).

The question now is how to communicate from my front-end to the database and back? I don't know much about this part of systems, but I guess that ODBC and JDBC are the kind of stuff I need. But I am not sure if they have what I need. I don't think ODBC
can run on Linux, or that there is a JDBC driver for (postgres on CygWin).

Could anyone assist me here?

pgsql-novice by date

Next:From: Michael D. MauneyDate: 2001-09-13 15:18:36