Urgent help needed- alias name in update statement

From: venkatrao(dot)b(at)tcs(dot)com
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org,pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Urgent help needed- alias name in update statement
Date: 2010-03-09 13:51:31
Lists: pgsql-generalpgsql-novice
Hello,

In postgre, when i am trying to give alias name in update statement like
below -

---------------------------------
update mytable x
set x.name = 'asdf'
where x.no = 1

is giving error - mytable is not having col x.

We have migrated code from oracle to postgre 8.4. Is there any solution
for this.
(functions were compiled without any compilation errors - now when we are
trying to run these we are getting problems)

Please help..

Venkat
and any attachments. Thank you