Re: [ODBC] Unable to Query the datatype varchar of PostgreSQL Server

From: vidisha(dot)shah(at)tcs(dot)com
To: Ludek Finstrle <luf(at)pzkagis(dot)cz>
Cc: pgsql-odbc(at)postgresql(dot)org,pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org,Marc(dot)Herbert(at)continuent(dot)com,simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com
Subject: Re: [ODBC] Unable to Query the datatype varchar of PostgreSQL Server
Date: 2006-03-29 10:35:16
Lists: pgsql-hackerspgsql-odbc
Hi

Thansk you very much for the inforamtion. We tried  Postgres ODBC Driver
(ANSI. Now we can view the datatype varchar/text.

But since there is a limitation of Ascii character set, we are unable to
view Latvian Specific characters.

If you have any idea about this, please let me know.

Thanks & Regards,

Vidisha B Shah
Tata Consultancy Services Limited
Mailto: vidisha(dot)shah(at)tcs(dot)com
Website: http://www.tcs.com

Ludek Finstrle <luf(at)pzkagis(dot)cz> wrote on 03/29/2006 01:41:03 PM:

> Hello,
>
> > We are trying to fetch records from Postgre Tables.
> >
> > We are successfully able to build connectivity. We are Using Postgre
ODBC
> > Driver (Unicode).
> >
> > But when I query the tables of Postgre it is unable to map the
datatype
> > varchar of source Table.
>
> When you use Unicode all VARCHAR is treated as not ansi but as
> wide varchar (WVARCHAR).
>
> Please try Postgres ODBC Driver (ANSI).
>
> > CAUSE DETERMINATION
> > ====================
> > VARCHAR datatype from PostgreSQL is translated by your ODBC driver in
an
> > unsupported datatype for HSODBC.
>
> What is HSODBC?
>
> > To get confirmation, please have a look in the documentation:
> >
> > Oracle® Database Heterogeneous Connectivity Administrator's Guide
> > 10g Release 2 (10.2)
> > Part Number B14232-01
> > B Data Type Mapping for Generic Connectivity
> > B.1 Mapping ANSI Data Types to Oracle Data Types Through an ODBC
Interface

> Here is ANSI so why you don't use psqlodbc ANSI?
>
> > Can you please suggest why varchar datatype is not correctly
identified
> > and what is the path to get solution?
>
> It is correctly identified as I wrote above.
>
> Regards,
>
> Luf

> ForwardSourceID:NT000212CE

Notice: The information contained in this e-mail message and/or attachments to it may contain confidential or privileged information. If you are not the intended recipient, any dissemination, use, review, distribution, printing or copying of the information contained in this e-mail message and/or attachments to it are strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please notify us by reply e-mail or telephone and immediately and permanently delete the message and any attachments. Thank you