Re: Ultimate DB Server

From: "Mike Rogers" <temp6453(at)hotmail(dot)com>
To: <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, "Jean-Michel POURE" <jm(dot)poure(at)freesurf(dot)fr>
Subject: Re: Ultimate DB Server
Date: 2001-10-28 22:41:03
Lists: pgsql-admin pgsql-general pgsql-hackers

MySQL and PostgreSQL are starting to move together as far as I can see.
MySQL has the _option_ of transactional database formats (you can use both
normal MyISAM tables and transactional tables). MySQL 4.0 has all those
various features you speak of. On all too many applications, MySQL kicks
ass. Admitedly, if you do massive complex database applications, PostgreSQL
can smoke it when done right, but MySQL works great for most tasks. It's
not even a matter of which is better or how to compare them. It is a
question of 'what is your purpose for the database' and then deciding based
on the intended purpose.
I did mention that it would be running BOTH MySQL and PostgreSQL, and
not just one. I use them both for various purposes, depending on the need
and am trying to move it to a seperate server to increase the speed of
queries on BOTH database systems. It's not a question of which is better,
but a question of what will maximize output for cost.
I think you may have misinterpreted the question
--
Mike