Re: getting perl to talk to postgres

From: "Neil Davis" <npdavis(at)hotmail(dot)com>
To: "faroxy" <frederick(dot)opp(at)home(dot)com>, <pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: getting perl to talk to postgres
Date: 2001-01-05 18:45:13
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

Frederick,
I am fairly new to installing Perl but have done it successfully. I am more
of a developer vs. a *nix sysadmin/installation expert. I usually work on
systems that have already had this stuff done.

I would have to say that you probably will not be successful installing this
as the postgres user. pg user has very little access on the box. I think
that this ID is only supposed to be used to start the postmaster and run
psql (and related pg programs). Installation of software requires much more
access than this user has. From your error it looks like you are having
permissions issues. Don't fret.

Have you tried CPAN? CPAN is a Perl installation system. Go to www.cpan.org.
There are provisions in this system for almost all databases including
PGSQL. I have successfully installed Perl/Postgres libraries(for Perl) on
about 8 boxes with this system and had no problems except for my own lack of
knowledge about what I really needed. I installed this stuff as root.
Everyone feel free to jump in and let me know if this is a bad thing...

Perl runs from my web pages as www or nobody users (depending on who set up
the original box) and connects to PostGreSQL as a user that I define.

I have the feeling you will be up in no time... CPAN rocks and it works very
well for me. It hasn't let me down yet. I am running Red Hat 7 with some SCO
thrown into the mix, on x86 (Pentium, PII and PIII) boxes.

thx,
Neil