Re: Hardware recommendations to scale to silly load

From: "Matt Clark" <matt(at)ymogen(dot)net>
To: "Bruce Momjian" <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: "Ron Johnson" <ron(dot)l(dot)johnson(at)cox(dot)net>, "PgSQL Performance ML" <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Hardware recommendations to scale to silly load
Date: 2003-08-30 15:36:20
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-performance

> Just a data point, but on my Dual Xeon 2.4Gig machine with a 10k SCSI
> drive I can do 4k inserts/second if I turn fsync off. If you have a
> battery-backed controller, you should be able to do the same. (You will
> not need to turn fsync off --- fsync will just be fast because of the
> disk drive RAM).
>
> Am I missing something?

I think Ron asked this, but I will too, is that 4k inserts in one transaction or 4k transactions each with one insert?

fsync is very much faster (as are all random writes) with the write-back cache, but I'd hazard a guess that it's still not nearly as
fast as turning fsync off altogether. I'll do a test perhaps...