Re: Netezza: 27TB of PostgreSQL

From: "Simon Riggs" <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Hans-Jurgen Schonig <postgres(at)cybertec(dot)at>, "Robert Treat" <xzilla(at)users(dot)sourceforge(dot)net>
Cc: "Joe Conway" <mail(at)joeconway(dot)com>, "Devrim GUNDUZ" <devrim(at)gunduz(dot)org>, "Josh Berkus" <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, <pgsql-advocacy(at)PostgreSQL(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Netezza: 27TB of PostgreSQL
Date: 2004-09-14 07:48:03
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

> Hans-Jurgen Schonig
> Robert Treat wrote:

> hard drive ,
> >>
> >>HTML version from google's cache:
> >>
> >>http://64.233.167.104/search?q=cache:Fr_E4Ohu6BIJ:www.netezza.co
> m/news/medi
> >>a/META-Spectrum-Netezza.pdf+META-Spectrum-Netezza.pdf&hl=en&start=1
> >>

> > Heres a copy of the original.
> > http://www.netezza.com/analystReports/2004/META-Spectrum-Netezza.pdf
> >
> > Actually what I thought was also good was
> > http://www.netezza.com/media/2004/InformationWeek_021604.pdf
> > which highlights a medical groups transition from IBM's Red
> Brick database to
> > Netezza's PostgreSQL based solution for a 1.5 TB data
> warehouse. It mentions
> > that they initially hit a scaleability wall, and then upon
> switching noticed
> > that query times had improoved over thier old solution.
> >

> Folks,
>
> Please use this information carefully - recent versions of Netezza don't
> have much to do with PostgreSQL anymore.
> Their original product was BASED on PostgreSQL which does not
> necessarily mean that it IS PostgreSQL.

Agreed. Netezza isn't PostgreSQL anymore.

What Hans-Jurgen means: don't make too much of Netezza being a PostgreSQL
implementation - it isn't ANYMORE. That information doesn't itself need to
be treated carefully.

Good reference for ISVs/embedded market though.... not much use for end user
computing.

Best Regards, Simon Riggs