Re: Development Schedule Page

From: "Simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com" <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: "Tom Lane" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Development Schedule Page
Date: 2004-08-14 00:44:57
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> Tom Lane
>
> "Simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com" <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com> writes:
> > Please could we have a development schedule page on the web site...?
>
> You haven't been around here long, have you?

Gee, Tom, you noticed? What gave it away? :)

(I wasn't in a legal position to contribute before late 2003 - binding IP
clauses and all that).

> There is no schedule.

Hmm..... I did think that at first.

But I don't go with the mystical stuff. (There IS a spoon, Matrix-fans,
IMHO.)

Now, I think the answer is close to "Tom and/or Bruce know, but maybe they
don't agree yet...."

My observed group behaviour for what days is eventually agreed is something
like:
(Tom+Bruce+Marc)/2 in julian days

I see this: there is no PUBLISHED schedule, there probably is no AGREED
schedule, but everybody's working to some reasonable working assumptions
which mean that there is in fact an IMPLICIT schedule. (Whether or not that
changes over time)

I argued as strongly as anyone to NOT follow the agreed plan (just
recently). But I'm in favour of a published plan, so we all know. Just like
my recipe book says "90 mins for a cake", but we keep cooking it till it
looks good and don't try to flame Mrs.Beeton because it took 95 mins.

My interest is in allowing others to contribute. I have many other ideas in
this vein.

We can put things to the nearest month, if thats all we know/decide we can
hold ourselves to....

Best Regards, Simon Riggs