Re: Press Release, Final Draft?

From: "Simon Riggs" <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: "Neil Conway" <neilc(at)samurai(dot)com>, "Josh Berkus" <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
Cc: <pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Press Release, Final Draft?
Date: 2004-09-22 20:53:39
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

>Neil Conway
> On Wed, 2004-09-22 at 09:30, Josh Berkus wrote:
> > PARAGRAPH TWO:
> > My version:
> > In addition to reaching a new milestone in scalability, PostgreSQL 8.0
> > demonstrates the unparalleled development ability of open source.
>
> Uh, what exactly is this "new milestone in scalability"?

I like that phrase. v8.0 is undoubtedly not just faster but more scalable
than previous versions: better use of memory (ARC), background writer
(smoother performance, reduced locking), reduced parse time through
datastructure optimisation, avoidance of cache spoiling from vacuum, more
accurate identification of indexing opportunities). Delivery of new
functionality can reasonably be referred to as a milestone...

"It goes faster when you use more CPUs" doesnt have the same ring. :-)

> > Improved Memory and I/O: Disk and memory usage have been
> improved through
> > an Adaptive Replacement Cache, the Background Writer, and Lazy
> Vacuum. This
> > will result in more predictable loads and substantially more
> even performance
> > during peak usage times.
>
> I don't think "more even" sounds good; perhaps "more consistent"
> instead?

Agreed. "more consistent" probably works better in international english.

Best Regards, Simon Riggs