Re: Press Release, Final Draft?

From: "Simon Riggs" <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: "Rod Taylor" <pg(at)rbt(dot)ca>
Cc: "Neil Conway" <neilc(at)samurai(dot)com>, "Josh Berkus" <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, "Postgresql Advocacy" <pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Press Release, Final Draft?
Date: 2004-09-22 21:34:23
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

> Rod Taylor writes
> On Wed, 2004-09-22 at 16:53, Simon Riggs wrote:
> > >Neil Conway
> PostgreSQL 8.0
> > >
> > > Uh, what exactly is this "new milestone in scalability"?
> >
> > I like that phrase. v8.0 is undoubtedly not just faster but
> more scalable
>
> Just to be a pain, the only benchmarks I've seen (OSDL) indicates 8.0 is
> a touch slower than 7.4.
>
> It is, however, significantly more predictable (consistent) in it's
> performance -- which is far more important for most of us.

Interesting. Worrying and interesting. Could I ask you to clarify this in
significantly more detail, so we can all discuss this? I'm willing to listen
to the evidence - there need be no heated debate.

Are you saying that:
- 8.0 is slower than 7.4, for all workloads
- when you give 8.0 more CPUs, it is less or at least similarly scalable as
7.4.5?

Are you really sure a fully comparable test has taken place? Have you taken
into account the effect of tablespaces - or do you consider that to be a
"dressing-up" of something that was already possible?

Best Regards, Simon Riggs