Re: working with schema

From: "William Anthony Lim" <wei(dot)liang(at)eudoramail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: working with schema
Date: 2004-05-12 10:19:45
Lists: pgsql-sql

Christoph,

First, is it safe for multi user? I mean maybe first user need working with D200402, second one need with D200403, if I do this in first user connection:

SET search_path to D200402 ;

does it affect to the second user search path?

Second, I want it dinamic. So, if I want to using D200402, I just need to pass 'D200402' string in the argument of the function. Got my point?

Thanks anyway,

William

>> Hi all,
>>
>> I'm just experimenting with schema usage. I'm going to use it as a fake 'multi-database' system. Is Postgresql support coding schema name using string variable so I can pass it with parameter? I'm give u an example:
>>
>> I have schema: D200401,D200402.D200403,D200404, etc.
>>
>> I've set my user just like the schema name, so who login with D200401 will be using D200401 schema. When someone using D200401 schema, they sometime want to access another schema, so in my thought I can use variable like this:
>>
>> sPointer='D200403'
>>
>> select * from sPointer.myTable -- Question: How to write it to work properly?
>>
>> Thanks
>>

>> William
>>

>SET search_path to D200401 ;
>SET search_path to D200402 ;