Re: PostgreSQL Project list for 2003

From: Jason Hihn <jhihn(at)paytimepayroll(dot)com>
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL Project list for 2003
Date: 2002-11-29 14:46:59
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

Include the IPC daemon for win32, assuming you still need it.

My biggest concerns for the future though are replication and longhorn.

Longhorn being the operating system that follows WinXP and it has a SQL
server-based file system. Regardless of whether it is the "Right thing to
do" or not (technically or politically), I think there will eventually be
demand for a Linux equivalent, particularly if OSS is to dominate the
server room. There are only 2 open source databases currently up to the
task, Firebird and PostgreSQL. Maybe by the time it comes out MySQL will be
a real database by then. But whatever is available, the solution should be
able to replace SQL Server on the back end and provide equivalent services
for other OSs (Linux). I have no idea what it entails, it's actually
somewhat over my head in several respects. It'll probably have something to
go with .Net as well. It might just be some file system <-> blob functions,
I don't know.

Also that adds to the replication/backup bit because real-time fail over is
going to be needed if people are going to put vital files in the database,
and have them propagate corporate-wide. (I'm thinking about offices across
the globe)

One thing is certain. If PostgreSQL can provide it first, usage and
awareness will too.
-J