Re: Which database?

From: Jason Hihn <jhihn(at)paytimepayroll(dot)com>
To: Kaarel <kaarel(at)future(dot)ee>, pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Which database?
Date: 2003-10-03 18:04:09
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

PostgreSQL. There is no question. I've used both (plus Informix). Stick to
open source databases! They place nice with a whole lot more things. Plus
PostgreSQL (PSQL) has I think the highest SQL Spec compliance.

MySQL is fast, provided you don't use transactions. It is a little more
friendly, but only because it makes a lot of assumptions. MySQL expects you
to verify your data before insert, PSQL doesn't. Triggers, operators, etc
are non-existent or experimental in MySQL. I don't think views exist either.
If you get a MySQL implementation and a PostgreSQL implementation, and
compare the two, you'll find similar speed over all, but the PostgreSQL
implementation will be more hardy.

If you're going to be basing your company (or a significant portion of it)
on a database, and you have to go between the two, go with PSQL!.

Just my $.02