Re: PostgreSQL vs MySQL

From: Jason Hihn <jhihn(at)paytimepayroll(dot)com>
To: "scott(dot)marlowe" <scott(dot)marlowe(at)ihs(dot)com>, Jeff <threshar(at)torgo(dot)978(dot)org>
Cc: David Griffiths <dgriffiths(at)boats(dot)com>, pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL vs MySQL
Date: 2003-10-09 19:56:33
Lists: pgsql-advocacy pgsql-performance

I concur 100%. PostgreSQL was big and scary and MySQL seemed cute and
cuddly, warm and fuzzy. Then I took my undergrad CS RDBMS course (a course
that focused on designing the backend software), and only then was I ready
to appreciate and wield the battle axe that is PostgreSQL.

He also let me use PostgreSQL for my final project (the standard was
Oracle). I got an A. :)

I do have to admit that I prefer OSS (and docs) better than proprietary. I
had some Informix work and that was not fun at all. So even though the MySQL
is pink fuzzy bunnies, PostgreSQL is at least a brown fuzzy bunny [to me
anyway].