ECPG mass retrieval?

From: "Stergios Zissakis" <szis(at)intranet(dot)gr>
To: <pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: ECPG mass retrieval?
Date: 2004-03-29 13:13:22
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

Hi there,

It is possible to do bulk retrievals using ECPG?

What I mean is that I want to be able to delcare a host array variable, of
size 100 for example, and get
to retrive my data in batches of 100 rows.

To be more specific the following piece of code, using a cursor, results in
the databse being accessed at every fetch statement degrading performance:

sprintf(stmt, "select * from test where number between %d and %d and
string = \'%s\'", lower, upper, context);

EXEC SQL PREPARE S FROM :stmt;
EXEC SQL AT :ctx DECLARE curs CURSOR FOR S;
EXEC SQL AT :ctx OPEN curs;

EXEC SQL WHENEVER NOT FOUND DO break;

while( true )
{
EXEC SQL AT :ctx FETCH NEXT FROM curs INTO :num, :str;
}

What alternatives do I have to fetch things in bulk?

Thanks for your help.

Regards,

Stergios Zissakis