Netfinity x PC-clone

From: "Paulo Roberto Siqueira" <paulo(dot)siqueira(at)usa(dot)net>
To: "PGSQL Admin" <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Netfinity x PC-clone
Date: 2000-08-20 15:57:30
Lists: pgsql-admin

I have A PC-clone Pentium III with two ide disk and 256mb RAM, on the other
hand I have an IBM netfinity with a P-II, a scsi hard drive and 256 mb RAM.
I wanto to know is: will ibm machine do a better (faster) job with postgres
(slackware linux) than the PC-clone with a better processor? or the ibm's
features won't be enough?

BTW, how could i setup my postgres instalation to take advantage of the
amount of memory i have? (maybe i'll increase it to 512mb)

Thank you

-----
Paulo Roberto Siqueira
paulo(dot)siqueira(at)usa(dot)net