Intentionally splitting data in a table across files.

From: "Nick Fankhauser" <nickf(at)ontko(dot)com>
To: "pgsql-admin" <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Intentionally splitting data in a table across files.
Date: 2001-06-06 14:55:55
Lists: pgsql-admin

Does PostgreSQL support (or some day will support) "partitioned tables"?
This is a feature currently available in oracle which allows you to
physically separate the data for a table based on values in a set of columns
and attach or remove the files from the table.

While searching for the answer in the existing Docs & Archives, I noted that
a table will be split across files automatically to deal with situations
where the required space exceeds operating system limits, so it appears that
at least part of the concept already exists, but I found nothing about a way
to organize the data into a particular file or take a file that hold part of
a table off-line without making a mess. This would be a great enhancement
for warehousing applications such as ours, where the ability take a
particular large chunk of data on & off line quickly is important.

Alternately, does anyone have an idea about how to address this need in a
different way using existing tools?

-Nick

Nick Fankhauser

nickf(at)doxpop(dot)com Phone 1.765.965.7363 Fax 1.765.962.9788
doxpop - Court records at your fingertips - http://www.doxpop.com/