RE: OT: Heterogenous networks

From: "Francis Solomon" <francis(at)stellison(dot)co(dot)uk>
To: "Joachim Achtzehnter" <joachim(at)kraut(dot)ca>, "Adam Lang" <aalang(at)rutgersinsurance(dot)com>
Cc: "pgsql-interfaces" <pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: RE: OT: Heterogenous networks
Date: 2000-11-15 18:07:32
Lists: pgsql-interfaces
> Today, in a message to pgsql-interfaces Adam Lang wrote:
> >
> > Man... everything has to be so hard to make a decision
> on... Sometimes
> > I wish someone was here before me that made these tech decisions...
>
> Stephen Crawley had written:
> > >
> > > CORBA is both standardised and platform independent.
>
> While I tend to agree with Stephen, and I had mentioned CORBA in an
> earlier message too, Adam may be in a bit of a bind because
> he has settled
> on using VB. I'm not aware of a CORBA mapping for that, is there one?
>
> By choosing VB one more or less commits to a Microsoft only solution,
> arghh.

I believe that you could try Orbix - have a look at
http://www.iona.com/products/orb_orbc++_home.htm for more details.

To quote briefly from the web page:
"Use familiar tools such as Visual Basic, PowerBuilder, Delphi,
 MS Office or Active Server Pages to write COM applications that
 can easily access CORBA applications."

Please note that I have not used Orbix, and I believe it will cost
a fairly large chunk of cash to license. Anyone actually have
experience with this thing?

Francis