RE: Can PostGreSQL handle 100 user database?

From: "Francis Solomon" <francis(at)stellison(dot)co(dot)uk>
To: <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: RE: Can PostGreSQL handle 100 user database?
Date: 2000-11-30 19:39:01
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-sql

Hi,

2Gb file *systems* have been supported forever and a day on Linux. ext2
supports this without batting an eyelid. 2Gb *files* have not been
supported very well or very long on 32-bit systems. Essentially you need
a recent 2.4.0-test kernel version (test7 and up) or a patched 2.2.x
kernel (more likely if you're in a production environment). For more
information, see http://www.suse.de/~aj/linux_lfs.html

2Gb memory is a limitation under x86 (ia32) Linux in current production
kernels (2.2.x).
Again, the new 2.4.0 kernels go one better by using Intel's PAE
(Physical Address Extension) mode on Pentium Pro CPUs and newer. This
raises the available memory on Linux to 64Gb. Of course, 2.4.0-testx
kernels are not production quality, but it's a good taste of what's
imminent.

Hope this helps.

Francis Solomon