Load Balancing/Multiple Postgres Machines

From: Adile Abbadi <adile(at)minitdrugs(dot)com>
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Load Balancing/Multiple Postgres Machines
Date: 2004-11-29 18:34:56
Lists: pgsql-admin
Hi all,

Not sure if this has been asked before - it probably has been - but I figure
its probably just easier if I ask so my question is this:

How easy is it - or rather is it possible to create multiple instances of
the same db on multiple machines?

We are currently running a very highly used postgres db (Ver 7.2) that eats
up a lot of cpu time when its heavily used. We recently bought some very
powerful equipment to accommodate this high use, (currently its on a single
CPU, 1GB of Ram SCSI server - upgraded to a dual CPU, 4GB of ram SCSI
server) but my fear is over time this issue is going to haunt me again and
hardware can only be upgraded so much.

So is it possible to do some level of load balancing in postgres - I would
love a situation where I could have multiple machines running multiple
instances of the same db (that are all synced in real-time), where there is
some smart level of load balancing happening.

So if it is possible is there some instruction info out there to help me
along my way. Any help or insight would be greatly appreciated.

All the best

Adile

---