RE: [GENERAL] Future of PostgreSQL

From: "Jeff Duska" <jeff(at)duska(dot)com>
To: "PostgreSQL-general" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: <alshaver(at)yahoo(dot)com>
Subject: RE: [GENERAL] Future of PostgreSQL
Date: 1999-12-28 02:14:37
Lists: pgsql-general

Just a few questions on the Future of PostgreSQL. I plan to play with
PostgreSQL project in the next few months. Since I am not yet knowledgable
about the internal PostgreSQL code and nor am I an database engine expert, I
thought I could work on projects that are "add-on" to PostgreSQL. All the
projects I mention will be Open Source using GPL or BSD. I've figuring GPL,
just because I have already found a lot code written in GPL. Here are the
projects I was thinking about, yet I was concerned.

Administration Tools? Are the current tools acceptable? Do you want
something more?
I planning on creating add-in to jEdit that would be a Visual Database
designer tool that works with any JDBC database, including PostgreSQL. I was
also think of taking it a step farther and making it know how to talk with
PostgreSQL via a native API.

For those of you familar with Visual Studio or Delphi it would look like one
of these Visual Tools mixed with ideas from Oracle's Designer and
Microsoft's Managment Console. Is this something the group would be
instrested in?

Java support in the database?
Just about all the current db have support for Java in the database. As an
example, Oracle has a JServer option that can be added to Oracle 8i. Would
something like this be of intrest to the group? Or should I look at other
things?

Internet
Oracle, IBM and other have all kinds of different Internet technologies such
as portable version of the database -- XML, HTML export and imports,
CORBA/Application Server type support.

OLAP
Data Warehousing doesn't have to be integrated into the database. The point
is that OLAP - can be applied as an add-in to the system. The key needs is a
good development tool to help your users and yourself understand the
information that you know have access to.

'nough said,

Jeff