Re: XML ouput for psql

From: "Bob Calco" <robert(dot)calco(at)verizon(dot)net>
To: "Merlin Moncure" <merlin(dot)moncure(at)rcsonline(dot)com>,"Alan Gutierrez" <ajglist(at)izzy(dot)net>
Cc: <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: XML ouput for psql
Date: 2003-03-05 14:09:50
Lists: pgsql-hackers
I would like to see PostgreSQL eventually support XQuery:

http://www.w3.org/TR/xquery/
http://www.w3.org/TR/query-datamodel/

I see potentially an alternative front end called xsql, providing
substantially the same functionality as psql, only using XQuery syntax and
optionally returning recordsets as XML.

Anybody want to put together a team to explore this seriously? There are
probably several non-trivial semantic issues on the back end, but I only
dimly grasp them at this point.

- Bob Calco