Re: Forgot admin pw on initialization/install RH 7.3/PGSQL7.2

From: "Mark McEahern" <marklists(at)mceahern(dot)com>
To: "Jeff Kowalczyk" <jtk(at)adelphia(dot)net>, <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Forgot admin pw on initialization/install RH 7.3/PGSQL7.2
Date: 2002-05-24 03:48:34
Lists: pgsql-admin
[Jeff Kowalczyk]
> I made a dumb mistake, and forgot to write down the autogenerated
> administrator password when I first started the Postgres database on
> RedHat 7.3. I'm having a hard time finding information on how to do this
> online, and it's a tricky term to search the archives for, as well.
>
> I don't have any data I need to save (obviously), so how do I nuke the
> data and configuration (particularly the admin user) created during the
> initialization startup script? I don't want to go randomly deleting
> postgres' .conf files when I don't know what I'm looking for.

You could delete the primary database cluster, which I think is typically
stored here:

  /usr/local/pgsql/data/

You might want to just move it.  Then try using initdb to create a new
primary database cluster.

I'm fairly new to PostgreSQL, so there may be a more subtle approach I'm not
thinking of.

Cheers,

// mark

-