Re: GROUPING and ORDERING and CONFUSION

From: "Tim Johnson" <tim(at)celestialdesign(dot)co(dot)uk>
To: <pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: GROUPING and ORDERING and CONFUSION
Date: 2000-04-20 01:28:01
Lists: pgsql-sql

Hello,

I was hoping somebody might be able to help me do this: I have a table with
two fields (num int, name text)

num | name
15 | First Category Heading
1510 | first category subheading
1511 | second category subheading
1560 | spurious category subheading
156010| first spurious category subheading
156011| second spurious category subheading
16 | Second Category Heading
1610 | Second category subheading
161010| Second category subheading subheading

and so on...

My problem is I want to pull that data out and group it so that it comes out
just the way it went in.. So my page can read:

15: First Category Heading
1510: first category subheading
1511: second category subheading
16: ... and so on..

I thought I could probably group by num on the first two digits and order by
asc? but I can't find a way to make that work.

Thanks in advance.

Tim Johnson