RE: [HACKERS] CLASSOID patch

From: "Hiroshi Inoue" <Inoue(at)tpf(dot)co(dot)jp>
To: <chrisb(at)nimrod(dot)itg(dot)telstra(dot)com(dot)au>
Cc: "Chris Bitmead" <chris(at)bitmead(dot)com>, "Postgres Hackers List" <hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>, "pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-patches(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>
Subject: RE: [HACKERS] CLASSOID patch
Date: 2000-06-26 10:18:48
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-patches

Though the entries other than t_data in HeapTupleData
aren't stored to disk,HeapTupleData is just an extension
of HeapTupleHeaderData which represents the stored
format of tuples. Isn't it strange to you that htup.h is
dependent on rel.h ?

> Specific questions I have about the patch are...
>
> *) Does this change not add additional storage to disk? I understand it
> doesn't, but I don't understand the details.

AFAIK,it doesn't.

> *) in access/heap/heapam.c I wildly inserted a tuple->relation =
> relation everywhere I could see. Perhaps someone with more insight can
> tell me if some of these are excessive, or conversly if there are some
> other access methods which will cause it not to work.

It may be unnecessary for heap_insert/delete/update/mark4update().
I'm not sure however.

Hiroshi Inoue
Inoue(at)tpf(dot)co(dot)jp