Re: postgresql and openmosix migration

From: Richard Welty <rwelty(at)averillpark(dot)net>
To: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: postgresql and openmosix migration
Date: 2004-06-22 18:08:10
Lists: pgsql-performance

On Tue, 22 Jun 2004 12:31:15 -0500 Bill <bill(at)math(dot)uchicago(dot)edu> wrote:
> I have installed indicies,

but are there any statistics? vacuum analyze is your friend

> but for the rather computationally
> demanding processes we like to use, like a select query to find the
> commodity with the highest monthly or annual returns, the computer generally
> runs unacceptably slow. So, other than clustring, how could I achieve a
> speed increase in these complex queries?

1) have you gone to the effort to tune the values in postgresql.conf?

2) have you tried using explain to find out what the query planner is
up to?

> Is this better in mysql or
> postgresql?

if there is any complexity to the queries, postgresql will serve you better
if you learn how to use it properly.

richard
--
Richard Welty rwelty(at)averillpark(dot)net
Averill Park Networking 518-573-7592