Re: postgresql replication

From: Richard Welty <rwelty(at)averillpark(dot)net>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: postgresql replication
Date: 2005-05-05 01:30:10
Lists: pgsql-general

On Wed, 4 May 2005 20:49:59 -0400 Vlad <marchenko(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> Hello,

> in need to increase reliability of the service (and perhaps eventually
> offload main DB server) we are looking to setup replication for the
> database server. I found two solutions:

> Slony ( http://gborg.postgresql.org/project/slony1/projdisplay.php )
> PGCluster ( http://pgfoundry.org/projects/pgcluster )

> I found that PgCluster supports multi-muster mode, which we can
> benefit from, but it's not required for "backup" which is #1 goal at
> the moment.

> If anyone used those solutions, compared performance, reliability, etc
> - please share your experience / thoughts.

i think you need to be more specific about your replication requirements.

async multi master is problematic in any case. it can be useful in certain
circumstances, but for generically duplicating a large database, it's generally
the wrong answer.

you should probably focus on single master/multi slave setups, there are
useful solutions in that space.

richard
--
Richard Welty rwelty(at)averillpark(dot)net
Averill Park Networking