Restore database from files (not dump files)?

From: wheel <wheel(at)wheel(dot)not>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Restore database from files (not dump files)?
Date: 2006-12-01 00:15:40
Lists: pgsql-general

Can a pgsql 8.1 database be restored from the raw file? For one database
I have only the files found in the base folder, example C:\PostgreSQL
\data\base\16404, there are many files called 1247, 1248, etc (no
extension). I think these are the files that make up the database? For
this db I don't have a dump file, just what is on disk. I do know the
users and passwords etc. I've hunted around quite a bit in various
places and most of the restore discussions center around files created
with pg_dump.